RSVP for the Massachusetts Mothers Out Front
Strategy Summit Follow Up Meeting
Saturday, December 8
10 am - 2 pm
First Parish Unitarian Universalist Arlington
630 Massachusetts Avenue, Arlington
Our state strategy summit in October left some unfinished business.
- We chose to combine elements of three proposals as the basis for creating a statewide campaign to speed the transition off fracked gas. However, we agreed that the ideas in the proposals still needed focus and details. We want to continue to do this through a democratic and inclusive process.
- We also agreed that we need a governance structure that will support the new campaign and create clear lines of communication and accountability. We tasked our Structure Team with coming up with a proposal.
On December 8th, we will:
- Consider and select the parts of the campaign proposals that will have the biggest impact, best use the voice of mothers, and grow our movement
- Create preliminary campaign impact and people goals, and possible targets
- Establish guidelines for membership and structure of the campaign leadership group
- Give input around governance structure & hear proposals from the Structure Committee
The next steps after this meeting will be to:
- Share a rough draft of the campaign with community teams to get feedback
- Gather and empower a new campaign leadership group to create a timeline, tactics, campaign name and other details.
- Launch the new campaign in January or February 2019!
Who should come: Anyone interested in helping finalize our state strategy! At least one representative from each team would be ideal.
Remote participation: The meeting will have the option for virtual participation for those who live across the state or could not otherwise participate.
Lunch: Bring your own lunch. Bring something to share as well, if you like.
Directions and Parking: First Parish Arlington is located at 630 Massachusetts Avenue, in Arlington center. The 77 and 79 bus routes stop right in front of the church. There is plenty of metered parking nearby. Enter at the side door near the library. We will be in the Parlor, through the glass doors to the left of where you enter.
630 Massachusetts Ave
Arlington, MA 02476
Google map and directions
Thank you to the 57 attendees of the Strategy Summit, held Saturday, Oct 20th, for your dedication, creativity and care when thinking about our statewide direction for the next couple of years. Of our 18 community teams, 13 were represented at the Summit. The decision making was expertly facilitated by Edith Buhs and Anne Wright. We thank all the proposers for the time and thought they put into their proposals.
We are pleased to announce that, in response to strong support from participating community teams, the 2019-2020 statewide strategy for Massachusetts Mothers Out Front will focus on a campaign based on the Beyond Gas and Pipeline proposals. We are indebted to the Gas Leaks and Pipelines Task Forces for the tremendous accomplishments they have achieved over the past 3 years, which we will be building on for our next two year strategy.
As a key next step, the MA Leadership, Statewide Strategy, and Structure Teams will convene a conversation(s) that will include representatives from the Gas Leaks and Pipelines Task Forces, as well as from across MA Mothers Out Front to focus the selected statewide campaign further regarding:
- Impact & people goals of the campaign
- Creation and design of a campaign committee and decision-making guidelines
- Charge for the campaign committee
This conversation will also begin the process of shaping this campaign to ensure it meets our three main criteria for meaningful impact, building power, and providing a meaningful role for mothers and mothers' voices.
Continuing Work and Volunteer Opportunities
Legislative Team Opportunity: The carbon pricing proposal had strong support from the community teams at the Summit and several bills were included in the original Gas Leaks and Pipelines proposals. However, given the need to consider all legislative possibilities in greater detail, Summit participants decided to create a MOF Mass Legislative Team that is empowered to select a maximum of 3 bills to champion in the upcoming state legislative session.
If you're interested in being a part of this new legislative team, please let Andra Rose, email@example.com, know.
Structure Committee Opportunity: The Structure Committee is developing a new governance and committee structure that brings the power of our grassroots organization together to make key decisions and monitor statewide strategy. To learn more, please contact Anne Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Study Group Opportunities: There are also various study group opportunities.
- Regenerating Earth’s Carbon Sponge; for more information contact Melissa Ludtke, email@example.com.
- Transportation; for more information contact Andee Krasner, Andee.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reducing food waste; for more information contact Carolyn Weaver, email@example.com.
Thank you again to everyone who contributed to the successes of the Strategy Summit. There were moments of levity and laughter too throughout the day, which is a testament to the supportive and entertaining vibe in the air. The MA Leadership Team has created this feedback form about the strategy process so far, so that we can learn what everyone found helpful, inspiring, challenging and what could be done differently as we continue.
A presenter from the Mothers Out Front Statewide Renewables Task Force will be sharing strategies for reducing our personal carbon footprints.
This is also an opportunity to meet other Mothers Out Front members and introduce friends to Mothers Out Front.
See you there!
Mothers Out Front Cambridge is working to increase home energy efficiency and renewable energy options in Cambridge through our Bringing Paris Home Campaign
Please complete this survey and support our campaign!Take the survey
Mothers Out Front Arlington has been hard at work all summer getting gas leaks fixed, protesting pipelines, AND spreading the word about Arlington’s new electricity program: Community Choice Aggregation. We are getting close to our goal of 300 Arlington families OPTING UP to 50% or 100% renewable energy. (We’re at 235 right now.) So we need your help!
If you’ve thought about getting involved, now’s the time. We especially need people who can help for an hour or two at TOWN DAY, coming up on September 16th, from 10 am to 3 pm.
Choose from two roles:
- AT TABLE: Mothers Out Front will have a table throughout the day. For each 1.5 hour time slot, we need two people at the table — distributing flyers about current campaigns and helping people OPT UP. Don’t worry if you’re new. We’ll have seasoned people at the table to train you.
- IN CROWD: During each time slot, we also need 3 people to “work the crowd.” You’ll be wearing a sandwich board, distributing flyers, and sharing information about OPTING UP. Again, don’t worry if you’re not an expert. We’ll train you, and if people have questions, you can always refer them to the Mothers Out Front table.
Click to sign up for a time slot below, and provide your name and email. We will email you to provide more information.
|Time||Role||Slot # [Name]|
|8 AM - 9:30AM||Set Up||
Slot 1 Andrea Winslow
Slot 2 Ann Boland
Slot 3 Sign Up
|9:30 AM - 11AM||Table||
Slot 1 Jill Manca
Slot 2 Sarah Conn
Slot 3 Nancy Strong
|9:30 AM - 11AM||Crowd||
Slot 1 Deb Lewis
Slot 2 Linda Clark
Slot 3 Sign Up
|11 AM - 12:30 PM||Table||
Slot 1 Ann Boland
|11 AM - 12:30 PM||Crowd||
Slot 1 Sue Donnelly
Slot 2 Jacqueline Chakrabarty
Slot 3 Sign Up
|12:30 PM - 2 PM||Table||
Slot 1 Alice Trexler
Slot 2 Karen Thomas-Alyea
|12:30 PM - 2 PM||Crowd||
Slot 2 Maggie Schramm
Slot 3 Peggy Gardiner
|2 PM - 3:30 PM||Table||
Slot 1 Lynn Baldridge
Slot 2 Nili Perlmutter
|2 PM - 3:30 PM||Crowd||
Slot 1 Andrea Winslow
Slot 2 Jessica Kuznick