The Massachusetts Mothers Out Front Legislation Team has committed to champion two legislative priorities. Follow the links below for resources about the bills. You will find a growing selection of materials on our priorities, including bill summaries, talking points and FAQs. Please check back often as we are adding resources every day. If you are a Community Team Coordinator or Legislative Advocate from your Team click here for more info.
- Rep Jennifer Benson’s bill, which creates a fair price on carbon emissions.
- Rep Lori Ehrlich’s bill, which focuses on the gas utilities (FUTURE is an acronym: For a Utility Transition to Using Renewable Energy).
We also are also considering adding a third priority bill that sets out a plan for getting off fossil fuels by ambitious target dates such as the 100% Renewable bill or the Global Warming Solutions Act Implementation bill. More on that later.
All the bills for the 2019-2020 legislative session are filed by our Representatives in the House this month. There's a mad rush to get as many Reps to cosponsor each bill before the deadline of February 3rd. Our goal is for every Community Team to meet with the Rep/s in their town, to introduce them to Mothers Out Front if they're a new Rep, and to ask them to cosponsor our two priority bills. We'll fill you in on the exciting details of the carbon pricing and the FUTURE bills, and how to lobby your legislators the MOF way in these webinars:
- Thursday evening, January 17th 7-8:30 PM. MOF Webinar on Lobbying Legislators the MOF Way. RSVP here.
- Tuesday morning, January 22nd 8-9:00 AM. Webinar on the FUTURE bill. RSVP here.
Actions anyone can take now to get involved:
Participate in the Webinars above
Sign up for Action Alerts
- Sign up for MOF Action Alerts to get notified when we need everyone to call or email their legislators.
Save the Date
- Thursday January 24th 11-3:00pm. Mass Power Forward Lobby Day.
- Tuesday January 29th time tba. Clean Energy Future (carbon pricing coalition) Lobby Day.
Know Your Legislators!
Find your State Legislators' phone numbers and email; look them up here. Once you've got their contact information, keep it handy on your phone or your fridge, and use them often! Our representatives rarely hear from their constituents more than once and a small group of Mothers can have a big impact by asking for their Rep to be a climate champion and checking back regularly to see what they did since you last talked. They work for us and our children, so get to know them.
This page is brought to you by the Mass MOF Legislation Team:
Andra Rose, Ania Camargo, Ann Berwick, Bee Jay Baatz, Carol Chamberlain, Carol Walker, Connie Dawson, Ed Woll, Elissa Yanover, Elizabeth Cooper, Eugenia Gibbons, Gilda Gussin, Ginger Ryan, Kristi Heiman, Marilyn Ray Smith, Mary Hutton, Melissa Downes, Nancy Clark, Sue Swanson, Susan Lees, Zeyneb Magavi
For information, questions or to get involved, contact Andra at email@example.com.