Massachusetts Mothers Out Front is championing
three legislative priorities
The cornerstone bill is An Act Relative to Environmental Justice (EJ) and Toxics Reduction in the Commonwealth (H.761/S.464), sponsored by Reps Miranda and Dubois, and Senator Eldridge. The Act would codify the environmental justice policy of the State government, make public hearings accessible to non-English speakers and establish a fund for developing environmental projects in EJ communities, among other provisions.
- Rep Jennifer Benson’s bill, which creates a fair price on carbon emissions in the transportation and heating sectors, and other retail uses of fossil fuels.
- A bill filed by Senator Cindy Creem, Rep. Lori Ehrlich and Rep. Christina Minicucci, which focuses on transitioning the gas utilities to selling renewable heat (FUTURE is an acronym: For a Utility Transition to Using Renewable Energy).
Other Bills We Support
In addition to our three legislative priorities which we are harnessing Mother Power to pass this session, we have also endorsed several other bills. These are not bills that the Legislative Team is actively engaged with, but we want to lend the Mothers Out Front name on a list or letter from supporting organizations. The bills that we have endorsed so far are:
Interested in a bill that we haven't endorsed? We have a process for vetting bills to support. We need at least 48 hours if there is a deadline to sign on to a coalition letter. Contact Andra at email@example.com.
Showing Up to Shape the Laws that will Determine Our Children's Future
Mothers Out Front was well represented at the State House on June 4th thanks to twenty members who were able to shirt up and show up. We were there to support one of our legislative priorities, Environmental Justice. The bills were heard by the Environment, Natural Resources, and Agriculture Committee; the room was packed and the testimony was lively. The legislators saw that we walk our talk. Our allies gave MOF a shout out for our strong presence at the following Mass Power Forward meeting (that's the statewide coalition of climate organizations in which we're an active member).
Thanks also to the Legislative Team, the Environmental Justice Team, and staff members who worked together to get the word out with short notice.
The next step in the long legislative journey is for the bills to be voted on by the Environment, Natural Resources, and Agriculture Committee. This could happen anytime before next March but we want it to be reported out sooner. Our job will be to encourage our Reps to talk with the members of the Committee to make a favorable recommendation for the EJ bills to move forward. We will also contact the chairs of the committee directly. Let us know if you would like to be a part of that effort.
- We are educating members about the EJ legislation, the Future bill, and Carbon Pricing. See our trifold, and please use it.
- We are asking supportive legislators to step up and champion our priority issues
Sign up for Action Alerts
- Sign up for MOF Action Alerts to get notified when we need everyone to call or email their legislators.
- Would you like to be added to a list of people who particularly want to show up for legislative events like hearings? Please let Andra know at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Legislative Team will use the list to send a special invitation to you for events at the State House, in your district, and online (like webinars on bills).
Know Your Legislators!
Find your State Legislators' phone numbers and email; look them up here. Once you've got their contact information, keep it handy on your phone or your fridge, and use it often! Our representatives rarely hear from their constituents more than once and a small group of Mothers can have a big impact by asking for their Rep to be a climate champion and checking back regularly to see what they did since you last talked. They work for us and our children, so get to know them.
What we did in January
All the bills for the 2019-2020 legislative session are filed by our Representatives in the House this month. There's a mad rush to get as many Reps to cosponsor each bill before the deadline of February 3rd. Our goal is for every Community Team to meet with the Rep/s in their town, to introduce them to Mothers Out Front if they're a new Rep, and to ask them to cosponsor our two priority bills.
Learn how to run a Mothers Out Front lobbying meeting, and the exciting details of the carbon pricing and the FUTURE bills, and how to lobby your legislators the MOF way in these webinars:
- Webinar on Lobbying Legislators the Mothers Out Front Way. Here's a link to the recording. And a link to the slides.
- Webinar on the FUTURE bill.
- Thursday January 24th 11-3:00pm. Mass Power Forward Lobby Day, RSVP here.
- Tuesday January 29th time tba. Clean Energy Future (carbon pricing coalition) Lobby Day.
This page is brought to you by the Mass Mothers Out Front Legislation Team:
Andra Rose, Ania Camargo, Ann Berwick, Bee Jay Baatz, Carol Chamberlain, Ed Woll, Ellie Goldberg, Judy Leff, Marilyn Ray Smith, Mary Hutton, Melissa Downes, Nancy Clark, Rebecca Pomerantz, Sharon deVos, Sue Swanson, Tanya Larkin, Zeyneb Magavi
For information, questions or to get involved, contact Andra at email@example.com.