Gas Leaks in Newton
Gas is NOT SAFE, NOT CLEAN, NOT GREEN
Newton has 926 un-repaired gas leaks (2019).
Gas leaks maps make the invisible visible. (HEETMA.org)
Utilities report over 16,000 gas leaks in Massachusetts.
(Independent researchers typically find many more by a factor of 2-3).
HOW YOU CAN USE THE MAPS
Know your Gas Leaks! Do you smell gas on your block? Click on this link to the Newton Map. Is your leak there?
If not, call 1-800-233-5325 or 911. Tell them you smell gas!
Let us know. firstname.lastname@example.org
The map can also show patterns. For example, many leaks on one street indicate a pipe in poor condition. The map also shows leaks near schools, hospitals, and other sensitive areas.
Please share the link to your town’s gas leaks map with your local fire department, board of health, and sustainability committee as well as your DPW and town engineer. Because gas leaks kill trees by suffocating their roots, forward the map to your tree warden and conservation commission.
GAS IS DANGEROUS
Why? Because of the air pollution and explosion potential from 900+ leaks in Newton gas pipelines.
- Heatbreaking video of young girl seconds before she died in a gas explosion in her home.
- Merrimack Valley gas explosions 9/2018
- Gas explosion in Dallas
Environmental & Climate Justice
Climate change has a disproportionate impact on communities of color and low income communities in the United States and around the world. (link)
What is Mothers Out Front/Newton doing?
For the past 4 years MOF/Newton has been educating our community. We have held rallies and planted signs to raise awareness of the hundreds of gas leaks under our streets. We believe our community needs to know and understand the dangers of gas.
MOF educates and shares information about the damage caused by fossil fuels and advocates for divestment from fossil fuels.
MOF works to pass legislation and policies that promote clean energy, energy efficiency and environmental justice.
Gas Leaks Allies: Learn what a state wide coalition is doing about gas leaks
What You Can Do
- Join us in creating a sustainable future for our children. https://ma.mothersoutfront.org/newton
- Sign up to the MOF newsletter. email@example.com
- Learn about alternatives to oil and gas for home heating: HEATSMART/COOLSMART
- Opt Up to 100% electricity (Newton Power Choice)
- Sign up for Mothers Out Front Action Alerts. Be notified about advocacy activities. Join us in working with our local officials and legislators to support policies to fix the leaks and take meaningful climate action.
Smell Gas– Act Fast
If you smell gas anywhere, including in your home, go outside and call 1-800-233-5325 or 911 immediately. Do not assume that someone else has already reported the emergency.
Know how to shut off your gas line
A Different Kind of Fix for Leaking Gas Pipes, NEEP The Solution-learn about alternative uses for the gas pipeline infrastructure.
Do you like this page?