Thank you to all for showing up and supporting the FUTURE Act hearing
- 37 people testified for the FUTURE Act
- A bus came from Merrimack Valley with lots of folks from Lawrence and North Andover. Seven of them shared really powerful and moving testimony about their experiences over the last year.
- 4 moms from Mothers Out Front testified
- The room was packed including about 100 from Mothers Out Front.
- Boston Mayor Walsh testified in support of the FUTURE Act
- Bill Akley, President of Eversource Gas testified after us and announced their plan for 3 geothermal microdistrict pilots.
- If you want to see the 5 hours of testimony here is the video of the whole hearing.
Senator Cindy Creem, Representatives Lori Ehrlich and Christina Minicucci
The FUTURE Act:
Creates a path to a safer renewable energy future.
Addresses the neglected gas system’s current leaky pipes and safety challenges.
Reforms our Department of Public Utilities (DPU).
Massachusetts has committed, through the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2008 to a 80% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels. While we strongly support increasing this goal to 100%, we are also aware that our current efforts will not suffice to meet even the 80% target.
Since 1997, Massachusetts has required electric utilities to use more renewable energy each year through the Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS). One result is that our growing solar electric industry has earned 11,500 jobs and attracted $5 billion of investment to our state. The gas utilities do not have a similar path to get to our state emissions goals and continue to invest heavily in fossil fuel infrastructure that will not be needed. If we are to meet even existing goals, we must address the gas system.
It is time to take on the challenge of how to heat and cool our buildings with local clean renewable energy instead of explosive gas. The FUTURE Act creates a road map for gas companies to transition to modern renewable thermal by 2050.
We are asking Legislators in both houses to support the bill.
Gas is the Past - Health Impacts Information