It's time to plan the transition to Electric School Buses in the Amherst-Pelham Regional School District!
- They're healthier: they don't expose riders and the public to harmful carbon monoxide fumes (more on the health issue here)
- They're safer: better handling, responsiveness, and ride comfort and less likely to roll over due to lower center of gravity.
- They're cheaper to repair and maintain
- They're quieter: so the bus driver can more easily communicate with the passengers
- Their batteries can be used as back-up in the event of a power failure
- And they're as environmentally friendly as the energy source used to charge them!
- gradually, as diesel buses need replacing.
- using some of the following funding solutions from outside Amherst:
- Volkswagen settlement money
- state education funding
- partnerships with electrical utilities
- financial benefits from vehicle to grid technology
- leasing electric school buses instead of purchasing them