Criteria we used to select a Clean Electricity Supplier and why we chose Mass Energy:
A clean electricity supplier must have
- The choice is “additive” -- by purchasing "green" electricity we are creating the demand for more renewables. By driving up the demand we create the opportunity for more wind, solar and small hydro facilities to be built; transitioning away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable sources.
- The energy is clean by standards we believe.
- The company or organization has priorities and values aligned with Mothers Out Front.
- A respectful and safe sales process.
- Transparency about the model of obtaining and selling clean electricity.
"Nice to have" Features of a clean electricity provider
- The process is easy and inexpensive and encourages energy efficiency and conversation for those households where switching is not an option.
- Comprehensive coverage across Massachusetts utilities (Mass Energy covers NSTAR, NationalGrid, WMECO).
We have chosen Mass Energy
- They are a non-profit organization with a mission and values that are aligned with those of Mothers Out Front. The added cost a person pays for their electricity is tax-deductible.
- They are committed to increasing the supply of clean energy in Massachusetts and New England.
- Their standards of clean energy are very stringent and we feel comfortable with how they have defined what is included.
- They are willing to work with us to make the experience easy for those who sign up across the state and they are helping us track the results and impact.
- They make a donation to Mothers Out Front for every person who signs up.